Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Crock Pot Dyeing!


This is my first crock pot dye job.
1st I took 9 ozs of wool and presoaked in a sink of hot water for 30 mins. I broke the fiber up into sections and wound them into loose balls to make handling easier. While this was soaking, I boiled 12 cups of water and added it first to the crock pot. To that I added 1 1/2 cup of vinegar and 6 tsps of Country Classics acid dye that I purchased at http://www.paradisefibers.com/ . The color is Raven. After gently draining fiber, I added it to the dye pot.


After 3 hours on high, the water is clear and I removed the fiber to cool. If you notice, the water left is clear. The dye has absorbed into the fiber.

I placed the cooled fiber into a sink of room temp water to rinse. It didn't need much. (Never run water over your fiber, it'll felt!) I drained it again, gently squeezed some of the water out, and here's my fiber all dyed up and drying! The black really took, and I'm very pleased with the results and the ease of dyeing in the crock pot!

Andddd, heeeeere's Aidan! Is there anything sweeter than a baby in the tub!!!










4 comments:

LaBean said...

Wow. I've been thinking about dyeing fiber black and now I know the Country Classics brand is the way to go. I adore Paradise Fibers so that just makes it easier.

I'm glad you love your Fricke! My only wish is that I'd found them AFTER they started making the folding DTs. Then my spinning life would be complete. :) Thank you for showing your dyed fiber!

Mary said...

Thanks for your comments ! I'm a huge paradisefiber fan myself.The Country Classic acid dyes they carry are really nice. They dissolve readily and hey...the black is black! I have it spun up and am plying it with some Sari Silk I got from paradise. It's coming out really nice.

skein genius said...

Thank you so much for these dying tutorials. They are very clear and so very helpful!

Mary said...

Your so welcome! I'm glad they help! I tried to put as much detail as I could. When I was trying to figure all this out, there's wasn't much out there to go on. I'm just trying to share the knowledge!