Saturday, March 8, 2008

Yarn Snob?

Oh, Oh! There, I said it! Yarn snob! Now just how did this happen? Me who abhores above all, snobbiness? I pride myself on practicality, and simpleness. You won't find diamonds and jewels in my jewelry box. I drive a Nissan Frontier,(Yes, if I find a steal at a yardsale...no problemo!) I usually dress in jeans and a tshirt, but I do have some dressier shirts if needed. Most of my wardrope consists of scrubs. But there I was at Hobby Lobby, sticking my nose up at...cringe...
acrylic yarn.

Ok, here is what instigated it. I'm on the Yahoo group for the Mystic Light Shawl. I had some Bamboo yarn that I thought would be lovely, but didn't necessarily love the swatch I made. So off to Hobby Lobby because the LYS is not open. Um-hmm. The only fingering weight yarn I find is either acrylic or cotton. Not what I had in mind. No to dis any advid acrylic yarn lovers out there. I have a store bought acrylic sweater I wear constantly and it's like a timex, takes a licken and keeps on ticken. In all due fairness to me, could anything feel nicer than knitting with a nice Alpaca wool or that special yarn with a bit of silk? Do we not pain stakingly look for that all so special yarn to take home that we ooooo and ahhhh over, petting it gently?

Yeah, I was at the LYS as soon as I woke up today. Got there just at closing time. I really love Jenning's Street Yarn! Now you talk about falling over yourself to help you find the perfect yarn! They truly understand, it's not just a yarn purchase, it's an investment in perfection/love. Linda took the time to find out what I wanted and what for, my color preferences and tastes. She poured over all the possibilities and patiently allowed me to make my choice. She didn't just try to rush me out the door, or try to sell me the most expensive thing there. She was more concerned I loved my selection, and even did a project cost comparison of the different yarns I was interested in without my having to ask. Hey now, that's service! They are even patient with my over active grandson. No, you just don't get that kind of service at Hobby Lobby, now do you? Nor do they lovingly wrap your yarn in tissue. I love this shop! They have a little knit together every 3rd Sunday too. I've went once and plan to keep going. Someday when my schedule at work straightens out, I'd love to take some classes too. (No, Linda didn't pay me for this ad. They just really give great service.) There are other nice shops around me too, but this one is just extra special. I can go there in my jeans and tshirt, no make up and yeah...basically a mess, and get the same treatment I'd get if I went in all decked out. (Just because I look dirt poor doesn't mean I don't have yarn money!)

Back to the point, I purchased a yummy Mohair, fingering weight yarn that, surprise, is the same basic colors of my bamboo yarn that I love. I am now knitting the swatch, and I love it! Wow, my first experience with Mohair. I never knew! And hey, I was thinking maybe a shell with bamboo yarn with a matching Mohair shawl! They colorways are that close!

Doesn't anything beat the perfect yarn? I don't think so...well, besides my grandson Aidan. Nothing beats him!

No comments: