Monday, April 13, 2009

Mastering the Drop Spindle

I admit, I've always been a backwards kind of gal. After spinning on a wheel for some time now, I've finally mastered the drop spindle! Check it out...40 WPI, consistent even single on a homemade drop spindle! It was totally by accident too! I was just fooling around, wanting to see what the roving I just dyed up would look like, and it just all fell together....I was spinning on a drop spindle. I love it! So much so, that now I want some nice drop spindles to spin on! So I'm ordering 2 Bosworth spindles, and a Golding. I'm on the waiting list for a Bosworth Moosie spindle too! It'll be June 2010! Over a year long wait!!! Now I have something else I can stick in my knitting bag for the trips to McDonalds while Aidan plays! (Need more trips to McDonalds!)

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Gorgeous! It looks so evenly spun. After I read your post I headed over to YouTube to get educated in the process. The things I learn from craft people!

Mary said...

Thanks Heidi! If you go to youtube, look up Abby Franqmont, she is the master!

Unknown said...

If you are backwards in learning to spindle, then so am I. I tried for months to spindle and could only do park and draft. Then I got my Ashford Traditional SD and spinning became very instinctive. After several months I wanted to take a spinning project with my to someplace so I stuck a spindle in my bag, and gave it a whirl. I found to my surprise that it just came naturally now.

Mary said...

LOL, what's funny is I find over time, I get more fiber! Go figure!
That maybe subject to change when I finally get a Bee travel wheel!